Friday, February 6, 2015

Authors are insignificant?!

Hey ya'll,
So I have seen a lot of authors offering their work for free online for anyone to download and in my opinion I don't feel that is a good idea. I believe that though writing is our passion and our dream we have to realize that we have to make a living as well. If you do plan to make a career out of being a writer.

When singers debut a new song they don't let people hear it for free even if it's being played on the radio. Singers make sure that they get some type of royalty on whatever they do and I feel that authors should as well.

Let's take a look at this scenario. If you are an author and your book was only downloaded 250 times for profit, but then you decide to make your book free and it amasses over 30,000 downloads then Kindle per say should give you royalties because of your book bringing people onto their site.

I feel that authors get played when they make their work free to the public. I know that it's not always about making a profit, but in my world I feel if you like someones work and you want them to continue their work then you will support them by buying their products instead.



So my tips for writers are to NEVER make a brand new book free. If you have a novel that's not selling make it free for a brief amount of time. Or you can even have ten giveaways instead of letting over a hundred people download your work. I find that is a better choice then losing out on money that you could gain from the giveaway exposure.

Just imagine hundreds of people spreading the news about your giveaway to their friends which could cause more people to look you up and buy your books! It's a win-win situation all around. You won't lose nay money and you get your name/books spread by word of mouth. Sounds like a good plan to me :)

Comment below and let me know how you feel. Have you ever let your book run wild on the internet or do you charge for your hard work? Have you tried what I just posted Let me know how it goes! I am eager to here what you have to say :) Until Next time :*

No comments:

Post a Comment