Friday, September 25, 2015

Book Review #16: Annie John by Jamaica Kincaid

Hey ya'll,
So I was given the opportunity to review the novel, Annie John by Jamaica Kincaid and it was a very interesting read!

Image result for annie john

As always I like to be completely honest when writing my reviews and this book was very different from the typical novels I am used to reading. I loved how this book made me feel as if I were in this dream state watching Annie's life with her mother, father, and friends. I enjoyed feeling like a passenger in her life due to the fact that this story quickly progresses with Annie's age to hone in on significant events and people that shaped Annie into the person that she is.

A character I enjoyed seeing Annie interact with would have to be the Red Girl. I took delight in seeing their chemistry together and how they played marbles with each other, a game her mother frowned upon. I feel like the Red Girl gave Annie a new corrupted leash on life. Seeing this dark side of Annie helped me understand why she was so drawn to death.

In this novel, Annie says that she can picture her mother in a coffin. I believe it has to do with the fact that her mother had detached Annie from her love. Also, it is suggested that because of this she refers to the big black ball as a symbol for her depression.

I feel Kincaid did an excellent job in the sense that she gave me a new way to be entrapped within a book. However, Annie was the definition of unbearable and it made me love her and hate her at the same time. I look forward to reading more stories by Kincaid and I hope that she continues to bring something new to the table.

Have you read this novel? What did you think? Tell me, I want to hear your thoughts!
Until Next Time ;*

Rating: ****



My latest release: Laws of Passion


No comments:

Post a Comment